MPD Theft Prevention Tips
The holiday season is beginning and the Morristown Police Department (MPD) would like to remind citizens of how to prevent themselves and their families from falling victim to crime. The one thing the MPD would like to stress is to always lock your vehicles. Over the last 60 days the MPD has received numerous reports of thefts from motor vehicles. Of those reported, 63% were from unlocked vehicles. This is a crime of opportunity; suspects are looking for unattended and unlocked vehicles and are looking for easily accessible items.
The MPD does increase patrols around shopping centers and businesses during this time of year; however, these additional tips could help prevent your and your loved ones from becoming a victim during the holidays.
- Shop while it is daylight.
- If shopping at night, park in a well-lighted area. Park as close to the building as possible. Avoid parking next to vans, cars with dark tinted windows or trucks with camper tops.
- Do not leave the vehicle unoccupied while the motor is running and do not leave children unattended in a vehicle.
- Leave packages and valuables in your trunk locked or hidden out of plain sight.
- Before returning to your vehicle, locate your keys.
- Avoid carrying a purse or wallet. If carrying a purse, always keep a secure hold on your purse. Never leave purse unattended.
- If there is a suspicious person near your vehicle or you feel unsafe, ask the store security to escort you to your vehicle.
- Try to pay for purchases using a check or credit card. If you must carry cash, keep it in your front pocket and do not carry large quantities.
- If your credit card is stolen report it to the credit card company immediately.
- Beware of any stranger approaching you. This is the time of year when con-artists take advantage of those giving.
- While stopping, leave children at home with a family member or a babysitter. If you take your child shopping, teach your child to go to a store clerk for help if they become separated from you. Make sure they know their full name, address and telephone number.
- Teach children to stay close to you at all times
- Do not allow children to go anywhere unoccupied.
The Morristown Police Department wishes you a safe and happy holiday season.