MPD Theft Prevention Tips
The MPD does increase patrols around shopping centers and businesses during this time of year; however, these additional tips could help prevent your and your loved ones from becoming a victim during the holidays.
- Shop while it is daylight.
- If shopping at night, park in a well-lighted area. Park as close to the building as possible. Avoid parking next to vans, cars with dark tinted windows or trucks with camper tops.
- Do not leave the vehicle unoccupied while the motor is running and do not leave children unattended in a vehicle.
- Leave packages and valuables in your trunk locked or hidden out of plain sight.
- Before returning to your vehicle, locate your keys.
- Avoid carrying a purse or wallet. If carrying a purse, always keep a secure hold on your purse. Never leave purse unattended.
- If there is a suspicious person near your vehicle or you feel unsafe, ask the store security to escort you to your vehicle.
- Try to pay for purchases using a check or credit card. If you must carry cash, keep it in your front pocket and do not carry large quantities.
- If your credit card is stolen report it to the credit card company immediately.
- Beware of any stranger approaching you. This is the time of year when con-artists take advantage of those giving.
- While stopping, leave children at home with a family member or a babysitter. If you take your child shopping, teach your child to go to a store clerk for help if they become separated from you. Make sure they know their full name, address and telephone number.
- Teach children to stay close to you at all times
- Do not allow children to go anywhere unoccupied.
The Morristown Police Department wishes you a safe and happy holiday season.