- Pay the citation prior to the court date in person, by mail or over the phone (credit or debit card). The department does not take partial payments. If mailing payment, send to: Morristown Tax Office, PO BOX 1654, Morristown, TN 37816.
- You may appear in court and contest the violation. Court is on Mondays at 3:00pm; citizens should arrive at 2:30pm to check in. Please contact the Court Clerk to schedule.
- If you have not attended a driver improvement program within the last two years, you may be eligible to attend and reduce the cost of your citation and prevent points from the citation being added to your driving record. This may be accomplished at any time prior to your court date. This court does not accept an on-line driver improvement program. Please contact the Court Clerk to make your request.
- Citations given for light law violations, muffler violations, violation of registration and no driver's license in possession may be dismissed prior to your court date. In order to have a dismissal you must present the court clerk proof the light or muffler has been repaired or that the registration (citation must be dated for less than 30 days from expiration date) or a valid driver's license has to be presented. A $30.00 dismissal fee will be applied.
- If a citation is received for Financial Responsibility and you did have insurance on the date of the citation and have never been charged for Violation of Financial Responsibility, you must appear in court on your court date or fill out an affidavit, have it notarized, and submit to the court clerk prior to your court date. The affidavit can be found here. If you did not have insurance on the date you received your the citation, you must pay the citation or appear in court.
How do I attend the driver improvement program?
The driver improvement program is available to those who possess a valid driver’s license, and who have not attended the class in the past 5 years. To register for class, please call the Municipal Court office at 423-585-4607.
Please note: If you have a commercial drivers license you are not eligible for defensive driving school.
The cost of attending class is $40.00; however, once you have completed the class your citation will be reported to the state as driving school.
How much will a citation cost me?
Most fines are $107.50.
Will points be assessed against my license?
The Tennessee Department of Safety will assess points against your license for moving violations. You may obtain this information the following ways:
- Visit http://www.tn.gov/safety/article/values
- Contacting your nearest drivers license office.
- Contacting the Department of Safety at (615)741-3954.
Automated Enforcement Citations
If you have received an automated enforcement citation (Red Light Citation), you may pay the citation at the City Center's Cashier’s Office, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. or you may also mail your payment. Automated Enforcement Citations cannot be paid by phone or with a credit or debit card, at the City Center. For credit or debit card payments, please visit www.photonotice.com
If you wish to have a hearing for the citation, please complete the request for hearing portion of the citation you receive from Redflex and mail it to the Morristown Police Department.
Please note that an automated enforcement citation does not add points to your driving record.